: This color photo shows the unveiling of a historic marker on Court Street, Bellefontaine, Ohio, in 1968. An unidentified man dressed in a business suit is removing the covering from the marker. His right hand also grasps a wooden hammer or gavel. Spectators watch the activity. On the photograph's far left and right are men who are documenting the event with a still camera and what appears to be a film camera.
The marker reads: "Oldest concrete street in America. America's first concrete streets were those which surrounded this court house. Concrete was first used in 1891 to provide an 8-foot strip along Main Street where horses were hitched. Two years later Court Avenue was paved with concrete made from native marl supplies by the Buckeye Cement Company, 8 miles to the northeast. The marker was erected in 1968 on the 75th anniversary of the paving of Court Street." View on Ohio Memory.
: AL06964 Subjects
: Historical Marker; Transportation--Ohio--History; Concrete roads; Bellefontaine (Ohio); Logan County (Ohio); Rites and ceremonies; Streets--Ohio Places
: Bellefontaine (Ohio); Logan County (Ohio)