: Grand Opening of a Standard Oil Company's Sohio service station. Standard Oil of Ohio was the original Standard Oil company founded in 1911 by John D. Rockefeller as a result of Standard Oil Company and Trust breakup. Standard Oil Company and Trust was an American company and corporate trust that from 1870 to 1911 was controlling almost all oil production, processing, marketing, and transportation in the United States. Standard Oil Company stations in Ohio operated under the brand name "Sohio." The company was acquired by British Petroleum, now BP, in 1968. Following the terms of the acquisition, BP took majority ownership of the company in 1978. In 1987 BP bought out 45% of Sohio, assuming control, and in 1991 started rebranding all the Sohio stations to 'BP.' Although Sohio gas stations have ceased to exist, a few gas stations on Lake Erie and the Ohio River still bear the Sohio name. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL07668 Subjects
: Standard Oil Company; Oil industry; Business enterprises--Ohio--Cleveland; Ohio Economy--Economy--Business; Transportation--Ohio--History Places
: Cleveland (Ohio); Cuyahoga County (Ohio)