: An early, horse-drawn fire engine in Upper Sandusky, Ohio. Before the introduction of horse-drawn fire engines in the mid-19th century, most fire engines were maneuvered by men. Horse-drawn fire engines considerably improved the response time to incidents. Photograph by Harry Evan Kinley (1882-1969), a native of Upper Sandusky. Kinley was active in local events and organizations, and spent his professional career as a clerk at his father's department store, and later as a travelling salesman for the Marion Paper & Supply Company (1934-1962). He was also an avid lifelong photographer, and the bulk of the Harry Kinley Collection is comprised of glass plate negatives documenting the Kinley family, the city of Upper Sandusky and Wyandot County and surrounding areas.
View on Ohio Memory.
: AL07786 Subjects
: Ohio Economy--Science and Technology; Fire engines & equipment; Photographers--Ohio; Upper Sandusky (Ohio); Cultural Ohio--Art and Artists; Places
: Upper Sandusky (Ohio); Wyandot County (Ohio)