: Photograph showing the exterior of North American Aviation's Rockwell plant in Columbus, Ohio, when the plant was still under the operation of the Curtiss-Wright Corporation, 1941. The Curtiss-Wright Corporation began in 1929 when Curtiss Aeroplane, Wright Aeronautical and other aircraft companies were combined to form one corporation. The Columbus factory was established in 1940 when Curtiss-Wright began expanding their operations to fulfill quotas for military equipment set by the U.S. Government in the National Defense Program. The Columbus Aircraft Division of Rockwell International began operations in November of 1950, when North American Aviation, the then-parent company of Rockwell International, bought out the facilities and operations of the Curtiss-Wright Plant located near Port Columbus Airport on the city’s east side. The Rockwell plant was operational on December 4, 1950. Initially, the division handled contracts left over from the Curtiss-Wright operation and manufactured View on Ohio Memory.
: AV32_B01_F14_01 Subjects
: Aviation--History; Aircraft; Military Ohio; Manufacturing industries--Ohio; North American Aviation, Inc. (Columbus, Ohio); Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)