Tawawa House broadside   Save
Tawawa House broadside
Description: Handwritten and sketched broadside for the Xenia Springs and Tawawa House Resort, located on US 42 three miles from Xenia, Ohio. The land once occupied the Tawawa Springs health resort is now home to Wilberforce University. Xenia Springs was established in 1851 due to the presence of mineral springs, which were used as a "water cure" (or "hydropathy") for guests seeking the waters' medicinal and therapeutic qualities. The three-story wooden Tawawa House opened in June of that year with Dr. Samuel Silsbee, a Cincinnati skin specialist, as its superintendent. After several years, the property was sold in October 1855, and Tawawa House became the main building for the fledgling Wilberforce University. It lasted only a decade in its new role, burning down in 1865. While it was rebuilt on the same foundations, Wilberforce eventually relocated to new buildings to the south. View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: OVS4695
Subjects: Hotels; Travel; Wilberforce University; Medicine--History;
Places: Greene County (Ohio)