: First annual meeting of the Board of Managers at the Ohio Home for the Aged and Infirm Deaf, 1953. The Ohio School for the Deaf held its first annual reunion in 1870, and at this time, the OSD Alumni Association decided to build a home for the state's aged deaf, many of whom were living in social isolation in various county infirmaries. Fundraising finally began in 1892, and in 1896, the first residents moved into the new home in Westerville, Ohio. Over the following decades, the Ohio Home for the Aged and Infirm Deaf expanded, eventually including a farm, a men's dormitory and a rest home. After being renamed The Columbus Colony in 1980, the residential community grew to include ten cottages, a modern nursing home, and an apartment complex on adjacent property. View on Ohio Memory.
: P_262_B01_F04_16 Subjects
: Social services--Ohio; Ohio School for the Deaf; Deaf--Societies, etc.; Nursing homes--Ohio; Group portraits; Places
: Westerville (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)