: Haltnorth's Garden gates at Woodland and E. 55th Street in Cleveland, Ohio, from the collection of Louis Baus. Haltnorth's Garden was a German beer garden that also hosted light opera performances in an outdoor covered theater. The signs on either side of the gate advertise regular concerts on Thursdays and Sundays, or Fridays in case of inclement weather, while the name of the proprietor, Charles Hogg, dates this photograph to between 1879 and 1887.
Baus, a native of Cleveland, Ohio, was born in 1875. He began his career as a professional photographer doing studio work before becoming a staff photographer for the Cleveland Advocate in 1911. Baus worked for the paper, which was later purchased by the Cleveland Plain Dealer, for thirty-eight years until his death in 1949. He was also an avid collector of historic photographs. The Louis Baus Collection consists of over one thousand photographs mounted in eleven albums, showing historic Cleveland, the village of Zoar and Ohio covered bridges and mills.
View on Ohio Memory.
: P223_B02_A05_486 Subjects
: Cleveland (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.; Theaters--Ohio--Cleveland--History--20th century; Beer; Cultural Ohio--Popular Culture; German Americans; Places
: Cleveland (Ohio); Cuyahoga County (Ohio)