Chittenden Hotel postcard   Save
Ohio History Connection Archives/Library
Description: Photographic postcard showing the music alcove and entrance to main dining room and French Room at the Chittenden Hotel, located at the corner of High and Spring Street in Columbus, Ohio. The original Chittenden Hotel building was purchased by Henry Treat Chittenden in 1873. He spent several years refurbishing the building and opened it as the Chittenden Hotel in 1889. Within a year, the buildings were completely lost to a fire, and Henry rebuilt a new hotel on the same spot and reopened in 1892, only to see it burn down again in the greatest fire the city had ever seen in 1893. Chittenden rebuilt yet again, this time avoiding the use of any flammable materials, and opened the new (and final) Chittenden Hotel in 1895. Designed by Frank Packard & Joseph Yost, who had designed Ohio State's Orton Hall, the Chittenden was Columbus's grandest hotel, rich in luxuries from Turkish rugs to Honduran Mahogany. The building remained operational for 77 years before closing its doors in 1972 and being demolished in early 1973. View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: SC847_002
Subjects: Hotels--Ohio--Columbus--History; Columbus (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.; City and town life; Architecture--Ohio;
Places: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)