: An order of samples of German and English Bibles, and a few "A.B.C. books" (primers) for the store in Zoar, from J.M. Bimeler (by Christian Weibel) to Peter Kaufmann. Weibel served as treasurer for the Zoar community in the mid-1800s.
Led by Joseph Bimeler (sometimes spelled Bäumeler) in 1817, a group of Lutheran separatists left Germany and eventually established the small community of Zoar in Tuscarawas County, Ohio. The group formed the Society of Separatists of Zoar, in which each person donated his or her property to the community as a whole, and in exchange for their work, the society would provide for them. After decades of economic prosperity, the unity of the village declined, and by 1898 the Zoarites disbanded the society.
Peter Kaufmann was a German immigrant and intellectual. He arrived first in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in 1820; in 1826 he became professor of languages at the Harmony Society town of Economy, Pennsylvania. In 1827, Kaufmann led the establishment of Teutonia, a utopian community in Columbiana County, Ohio, and published its weekly titled "Teutonia: The Herald of a Better Time." Following this he moved to Canton, Ohio, where he became translator and editor of "Der Vaterlandsfreund und Geist der Zeit" under Solomon Sala. Additionally, Kaufmann wrote a number of books on education, as well as a German almanac. He was also an influential Democrat, counting President Van Buren among his friends, and knew Ralph Waldo Emerson. View on Ohio Memory.
: MSS136_B07F01_13_01 Subjects
: German Americans; Zoar (Tuscarawas County, Ohio); Education; Communal societies; Printing industry and trade--Ohio Places
: Zoar (Ohio); Tuscarawas County (Ohio)