: A woman stands in front of a Standard Oil filling station at the intersection of High Street and Williams Road in Columbus, Ohio. Founded in 1870 by John D. Rockefeller, Standard Oil filling stations are now defunct, having been acquired by British Petroleum and converted to BP stations. There are several motor vehicles in the photograph, including a station wagon and a Coca-Cola delivery van. Large signs advertise groceries, beer, and wine, while another sign gives directions to the Columbus airport.
The High Street Photograph Collection is comprised of over 400 photographs of High Street in Columbus, Ohio, taken in the early 1970s. These photographs were taken primarily at street level and document people and the built environment from the Pontifical College Josephinum on North High Street in Worthington through Clintonville, the University District and Short North, Downtown and South Columbus. The photographs were used in a television photo documentary that aired on WOSU called "High Street." Photographers that were involved in this project were Alfred Clarke, Carol Hibbs Kight, Darrell Muething, Clayton K. Lowe, and Julius Foris, Jr. View on Ohio Memory.
: AV254_B02F039_01 Subjects
: Columbus (Ohio)--History--20th century; Street photography; Service stations; Motor vehicles; Signs and signboards Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)