Big Bear grocery store at Graceland   Save
High Street Photograph Collection, 1972-1975
Description: A couple walks by the large Big Bear sign which sat in front of the grocery store once located at the Graceland Shopping Center. Wayne Brown founded Big Bear Stores, a regional supermarket chain, in Columbus, Ohio, in 1933. Built in 1954, Graceland Shopping Center is located on the west side of North High Street at Graceland Boulevard. The Country Hearth restaurant, a family steakhouse, is visible in the background. The High Street Photograph Collection is comprised of over 400 photographs of High Street in Columbus, Ohio, taken in the early 1970s. These photographs were taken primarily at street level and document people and the built environment from the Pontifical College Josephinum on North High Street in Worthington through Clintonville, the University District and Short North, Downtown and South Columbus. The photographs were used in a television photo documentary that aired on WOSU called "High Street." Photographers that were involved in this project were Alfred Clarke, Carol Hibbs Kight, Darrell Muething, Clayton K. Lowe, and Julius Foris, Jr. View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: AV254_B13F335_01
Subjects: Columbus (Ohio)--History--20th century; Street photography; Clintonville (Ohio); Grocery stores; Signs and signboards; Shopping; Restaurants;
Places: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)