: This group photograph shows the female employees of the Jeffrey Manufacturing Company in Columbus, Ohio, 1915.
Established in 1877 by Joseph Andrew Jeffrey to produce the first power-driven coal cutter used in America, the Jeffrey Manufacturing Company was for many years one of the largest and oldest industrial companies in Columbus. Over the years, the company diversified: while coal industry machinery remained its focus, it also supplied equipment for a wide range of industries. The Jeffrey Manufacturing Company established their main office and plant north of downtown Columbus on South 3rd Street. With success came expansion, and eventually, the factory and warehouses would encompass over 50 acres. At its height, the Jeffrey Manufacturing Company employed 4,500 workers and contributed millions of dollars to the Columbus economy. After almost 100 years of ownership by the Jeffrey family, Dresser Industries acquired the Jeffrey Manufacturing Company on May 31st, 1974.
View on Ohio Memory.
: MSS1527AV_B11F03_01 Subjects
: Jeffrey Manufacturing Company (Columbus, Ohio); Machinery industry--Ohio; Manufacturing industries--Ohio; Women -- Employment; Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)