: Three photographs relate to the LeVeque Tower in Columbus, also known as the American Insurance Union Citadel and the Lincoln-LeVeque Tower, which was completed in 1927. The first image shows the tower dominating the Columbus skyline and the Scioto riverfront. The second photograph shows the building with Columbus City Hall in the foreground. Both date from the 1940s and measure 5 by 6.3 inches (12.70 by 16 cm). A third photograph documents the site at the corner of Front and Broad streets prior to construction of the skyscraper, circa 1920. It measures 5 by 7 inches (12.70 by 17.78 cm). For forty years, until the Rhodes State Office Tower was built in 1974, the LeVeque Tower was the tallest building in Columbus. At the time of its construction, it was the fifth-tallest in the world. It was also known as "the first aerial lighthouse" in the country because it served as a guide to aviators. Architect C. Howard Crane of Detroit drew the plans for the building. It bears elements of Art Deco and Art Moderne styles. View on Ohio Memory.
: Om1900_3675577_001 Subjects
: Ohio Government; Business and Labor; Architecture; Skyscrapers; Rivers; Municipal government; Cityscapes; Bridges; National Register of Historic Places Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)