: Photograph showing the Upper Falls at the Old Man's Cave section Hocking Hills State Park, photographed by Bill Foreman for the Ohio Department of Natural Resources and included in the Columbus Free Press Collection. Old Man's Cave was named for Richard Rowe, a hermit who moved to the Ohio Valley in 1796 and lived in the cave. Early settlers named the site Cedar Falls, mistaking the hemlock trees that surround the falls for cedars. In 1924, the state of Ohio purchased 146 acres in the Hocking Hills that became Hocking Hills State Park in 1949. In 1972, the park added a dining lodge and cabins. Hocking Hills State Park is known for its geologic features of blackhand sandstone, including Old Man's Cave, Cedar Falls, and Rock House.
The Columbus Free Press began as a bi-weekly publication in Columbus, Ohio, in 1970. An underground newspaper, it replaced the Ohio State University publication The People, Yes. The earliest known issue of the newspaper appeared on January 4, 1971. The newspaper underwent a series of name changes over the decades, with titles including the Columbus Free Press & Cowtown Times (1972-1976), the Columbus Freepress (1976-1992) and The Free Press (1992-1995). The paper, which covered many liberal and progressive causes, was an alternative to mainstream news sources in central Ohio with the slogan “The Other Side of the News.”
In 1995, the paper ceased publication briefly before reemerging as a website in early 1996, and returning as a print publication under the Free Press title in the form of a quarterly journal in 1998. Published under various frequencies during the first part of the 21st century, the Free Press again became a nonprofit monthly publication in 2017 with both a print and web presence, published by the Columbus Institute for Contemporary Journalism and operated by a volunteer staff and board. View on Ohio Memory.
: MSS1301AV_B02F12_01 Subjects
: Ohio History--Natural and Native Ohio; State parks & reserves; Natural features; Geology -- Ohio; Waterfalls; Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)