: Membership certificate from the Washington Court House, Ohio, Fire Department to F. M. Kennedy for five years of service, 1888. This certificate is from the era of the volunteer firefighter. The images show the popular view of firemen at that time, and illustrate scenes of firemen fighting fires, rescuing women and children, pulling a fire engine and blowing a fire trumpet. Tools and equipment of the profession are pictured as well.
The certificate reads: "This certifies that F. M. Kennedy has been a member of the Fire Department of Washington C. H. Ohio for the period of 5 years, and by the faithful and honorable discharge of his duties, is entitled to all the exemptions allowed by Law for such service. In witness whereof we have signed our names hereto and affixes the Dept seal this 5th day of April 1888. John Stillman, Chief; R. Bell, Sec." View on Ohio Memory.
: OVS5517 Subjects
: Fire engines & equipment; Fire fighters; Public safety; Volunteering; Places
: Washington Court House (Ohio); Fayette County (Ohio)