: Photograph from the Columbus Free Press showing the Columbus Coated Fabrics factory, located along North Grant Avenue in the Weinland Park neighborhood of Columbus, Ohio. First opened in 1902 as Columbus Oil Cloth, the site operated for nearly 100 years before closing down in 2001; it was later demolished in 2007. At its height, the plant employed more than 2,000 people.
The Columbus Free Press began as a bi-weekly publication in Columbus, Ohio, in 1970. An underground newspaper, it replaced the Ohio State University publication The People, Yes. The earliest known issue of the newspaper appeared on January 4, 1971. The newspaper underwent a series of name changes over the decades, with titles including the Columbus Free Press & Cowtown Times (1972-1976), the Columbus Freepress (1976-1992) and The Free Press (1992-1995). The paper, which covered many liberal and progressive causes, was an alternative to mainstream news sources in central Ohio with the slogan “The Other Side of the News.”
In 1995, the paper ceased publication briefly before reemerging as a website in early 1996, and returning as a print publication under the Free Press title in the form of a quarterly journal in 1998. Published under various frequencies during the first part of the 21st century, the Free Press again became a nonprofit monthly publication in 2017 with both a print and web presence, published by the Columbus Institute for Contemporary Journalism and operated by a volunteer staff and board.
View on Ohio Memory.
: MSS1301AV_B03F04_01 Subjects
: Columbus (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.; Manufacturing industries--Ohio; Textile industry -- Ohio; Factories; Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)