: According to a typed caption on its reverse, this photograph from the Columbus Citizen-Journal Collection shows the Post Office Department's Highway Post Offices before their first trips, in Columbus, Ohio, 1952.
In operation starting in the 1940s, these red, white and blue mobile post offices were used as sorting and delivery facilities, and carried mail and postal workers across a wide geographic area following the decline in use of the Railway Post Office service. The Cleveland, Ohio, & Cincinnati, Ohio Highway Post Office was the last in the country to be discontinued, in 1974. View on Ohio Memory.
: P339_B03F05_11_01 Subjects
: Mail delivery; Automobiles; Postal service; Transportation--Ohio--History; Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)