: This 5" x 7" (12.7 by 17.8 cm) photograph depicts two blacksmiths at work at the Knowles, Taylor, and Knowles pottery in East Liverpool, Ohio. W. Knowles opened a small pottery in East Liverpool in 1854. In 1870, John Taylor and Homer S. Knowles joined the company. The operation expanded during the next two decades. By the 1880s, Knowles, Taylor and Knowles was producing translucent china. By 1890, the company was the largest manufacturer of white granite plain and decorative ware in the nation. The factory closed in 1931. View on Ohio Memory.
: Om1539_1507411_001 Subjects
: Business and Labor; Pottery industry; Ceramic industries; Potteries; Blacksmiths; Knowles, Taylor & Knowles (East Liverpool, Ohio) Places
: East Liverpool (Ohio); Columbiana County (Ohio); Crooksville (Ohio); Perry County (Ohio)