: This 4.5" x 3.5" (11.43 x 8.86 cm) photograph shows a crowd gathered at a boat ramp on Kelleys Island in Lake Erie. The photograph was taken on August 10, 1940. The ferry docked at the ramp is named The Messenger. Kelleys Island was the center of limestone production in the Great Lakes in the late nineteenth century when 16 limestone kilns produced lime on the island. Limestone quarries have, however, existed on Kelleys Island since 1833. Limestone was a popular building material, and lime was also used for agricultural purposes. The stone quarried at Kelleys Island was brought by rail to the docks, loaded onto ships, and then transported to places like Cleveland and Detroit. Several quarries operated on and off until 1972 when the last remaining operation, Kelleys Island Lime and Transport Company, donated its land to the state, becoming part of Lake Erie Islands State Park. View on Ohio Memory.
: Om3273_6059728_001 Subjects
: Transportation; Ships; Automobiles; Kelleys Island (Ohio)--Description and travel Places
: Sandusky (Ohio); Erie County (Ohio); Kelleys Island (Ohio); Ottawa County (Ohio)