: Four 3.5" x 5" (8.89 x 12.7 cm) postcards document scenes along Grand Lake St. Marys in Mercer County. The first shows the lighthouse at Northwood, located on the north shore of the lake between St. Marys and Celina. Three other postcards include images of a street along the west shore, a swimming beach, and a bird's eye view of the shoreline near Celina. Grand Lake St. Marys was the largest man-made lake in the world when it was built in 1845. The 13,500-acre lake was built to feed water into the Miami-Erie Canal when water levels fell below five feet. The lake took seven years to build and includes fifty miles of shoreline. It became a state park in 1949. View on Ohio Memory.
: Om3129_3832147_005 Subjects
: Geography and Natural Resources; Lakes & ponds; Lighthouses; Roads; Beaches Places
: Celina (Ohio); Mercer County (Ohio)