: This 7 by 5 inch (17.8 by 12.7) photograph, which was taken in 1890, shows the Friends Meeting House in Mount Pleasant, Ohio, the first yearly meeting house west of the Alleghenies. The three-story brick building was completed in 1814 for the Ohio Yearly Meeting of the Society of Friends, whose members are known as Friends or Quakers. Members of five quarterly meetings in Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Indiana came together to worship and conduct business. The building's interior is dominated by a large auditorium with extensive galleries above. A retractable wooden partition divided the 2000-seat auditorium so that men and women could meet separately during some meetings. The building was in active use until 1909. It is now a state memorial and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. View on Ohio Memory.
: Om712_1008529_001 Subjects
: Religion in Ohio; Quakers; Society of Friends; Religious facilities; National Register of Historic Places Places
: Mount Pleasant (Ohio); Jefferson County (Ohio)