: Seven photographs circa 1969-1970 document the Ohio Penitentiary located at 254 West Spring Street in Columbus. They measure 5 by 7 inches (12.70 by 17.78 cm). Shown are the Death House, electric chair, dormitories, Identification Department photograph area, barber shop, and O. Henry Athletic Field. In 1885, the legislature required all executions to take place at the Ohio Pen rather than in the county where the crime occurred. The Death House was built in 1913 to house the electric chair, which was first used to carry out death sentences in 1897. The prison baseball field was named for famous author O. Henry (William Sydney Porter), who was imprisoned at the Ohio Penitentiary in the late 1890s on embezzlement charges. View on Ohio Memory.
: Om1909_1980944_002 Subjects
: Ohio Government; Architecture; Prisons; Prisoners; Electrocution; Cameras; Barbershops; Television Receivers and reception; Athletic fields; Henry, O., 1862-1910 Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)