: This photograph shows the Ohio statehouse decorated for President Abraham Lincoln's funeral in April 1865. A sign above the entrance reads, "With Malice to No One, With Charity For All." Lincoln's funeral procession made several such stops on its journey from Washington D.C. to Lincoln's final resting place in Springfield, Illinois. More than 50,000 mourners paid their respects during the six and a half hours that Lincoln's body lay in state in the rotunda of the Ohio capitol. The photograph measures 3" x 2.75" (7.62 x 6.99 cm). The Ohio capitol was built between 1839 and 1861 in the Greek Revival style, resembling the Parthenon in Greece. One of the best examples of Greek Revival civic architecture in the United States, it is also one of the oldest working statehouses in the nation. It is a masonry building, consisting largely of brick and Columbus limestone quarried from the west banks of the Scioto River. Seven architects worked on the project. The most notable is Nathan B. Kelly, who modified the building's plans to include heating and ventilation systems. Prisoners at the Ohio Penitentiary were used to complete portions of the construction of the building. View on Ohio Memory.
: Om3150_3805415_001 Subjects
: Ohio Government; Presidents and Politics; Architecture; Presidents; Lincoln, Abraham, 1809-1865; Capitols; Funeral rites & ceremonies Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)