: The explosion of the nearly completed Ohio State Office Building, at 65 South Street, Columbus, occurred shortly after three o'clock on the afternoon of April 14, 1932. The explosion was the result of natural gas leakage. There were 110 men working inside the building, and 33 city workmen were working on the boulevard in front of the building. Altogether 11 workmen were killed and more than 50 injured. This photograph, measuring approximately 5.5" x 7" (13.97 x 17.78 cm), provides a glimpse of the great damage caused by the explosion. After the explosion, the Ohio State Office Building was repaired at a cost of $750,000. The original price of construction was five million dollars. Designed by architects Harry Hake, Frank Bail and Alfred Hahn, the The Ohio State Office Building was eventually renamed the Ohio Departments Building, a name that it kept until 1998, when the Ohio General Assembly voted to bear the cost of the building's renovation. Renovation began in 2001 and was completed in January of 2004. The Ohio State Office Building was renamed the Ohio Judicial Center and was officially opened on February 17, 2004, winning several awards due to its superior architecture. View on Ohio Memory.
: Om3438_5969544_001 Subjects
: Architecture; Ohio Government; Explosions Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)