: Olive Furnace, shown in this photograph, was built in 1845 to supply iron to steel manufacturers in northern Ohio, Pennsylvania, and other parts of the nation. It produced nearly 5,000 tons of pig iron, made from iron ore and limestone, per year. The supply of iron ore diminished in the early twentieth century and the furnace was closed in 1910. Olive Furnace was one 46 charcoal iron furnaces located in the Hanging Rock Iron Region of southern Ohio. It is located on Rt. 93 near Mt. Olive Baptist Church in Lawrence County, Ohio. The slide, taken in the 1960s, measures 2.75" x 2.75" (6.99 x 6.99 cm). View on Ohio Memory.
: Om3027_3645071_001 Subjects
: Geography and Natural Resources; Furnaces; Iron industry; Charcoal Places
: Blackfork (Ohio); Lawrence County (Ohio)