: The Sharps, Davis and Bonsall Company built this steam engine in Salem, Ohio in 1856. The firm was formed in 1851 by mechanics Joel Sharp, Simeon Sharp, Milton Davis, and Joel S. Bonsall. The company, which initially had twelve employees, produced engines to replace oxen or water-power for grain or saw mills, became the largest manufacturing concern in the county. In 1870 the name of the firm was changed to the Buckeye Engine Company. Their engines were sold nationally and internationally. By the turn of the century, Buckeye Engine Company employed 300 workers. The company was sold to the Bliss Company in 1924. Bliss ceased operations in 2000. An ambrotype is an early photograph created by imaging a negative on glass backed by a dark surface. This example measures 5" by 6.75" (12.70 by 17.15 cm). View on Ohio Memory.
: Om1452_1160744_001 Subjects
: Business and Labor; Equipment; Steam-engines Places
: Salem (Ohio); Columbiana County (Ohio)