: The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built the Shawnee Lookout Tower in 1939 to protect the Wayne National Forest from fire. It was used for fire protection until the 1970s. The 100-foot-tall steel tower was restored in the 1990s and is listed on the National Historic Lookout Register. The photograph is 2.75" x 2.75" (6.99 x 6.99 cm). The Wayne National Forest has three parts spread across twelve southeastern counties. The centers of each district are in Athens, Ironton, and Marietta. It is the only national forest in Ohio. View on Ohio Memory.
: Om3020_3636490_001 Subjects
: Geography and Natural Resources; Towers; Watch towers; Fire prevention; Forest reserves Places
: Murray City (Ohio); Hocking County (Ohio); New Straitsville (Ohio); Perry County (Ohio)