: This image shows the front facade of the Darke County Courthouse. The building was completed in 1874 by architect Edwin May, and unlike many other courthouses, it was not built on the site of the buildings that preceded it. Instead, the county commissioners moved the location of the county courthouse from West Main Street to Broadway Avenue just after the Civil War because Broadway was becoming the city's main thoroughfare. The Second Empire and Renaissance building is rectangular in shape and has columns with rusticated bases as well as rusticated blocks framing the entrance doorway. In front of the tower stands a statue of Justice. View on Ohio Memory.
: AV101_B01F02_108 Subjects
: Courthouses--Ohio; National Register of Historic Places; clock towers; eaves; cornices; pilasters; cupolas; Second Empire; Renaissance Places
: Greenville (Ohio); Darke County (Ohio); 4th and Broadway