: Marblehead Lighthouse, built in 1821, Marblehead, Ottawa County, Ohio, ca. 1940-1949. Marblehead Lighthouse is located on the tip of the Marblehead Peninsula in Marblehead, Ohio. It has operated since 1822 and is the oldest lighthouse in continuous operation on the US side of the Great Lakes. In 1858, initially used whale oil lamps were replaced by a single kerosene lantern, which in turn was replaced by electric light in 1923. A lifesaving station was built a short distance from the lighthouse in 1876. Marblehead Lighthouse was one of five lighthouses included in the "Lighthouses of the Great Lakes" postage stamp series designed by Howard Koslow in 1995. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL00392 Subjects
: Marblehead Light (Ohio); Lighthouses; Erie, Lake, Coast (Ohio); Women--Employment; Ships; Marblehead (Ohio); National Register of Historic Places; National parks & reserves Places
: Marblehead (Ohio); Ottawa County (Ohio)