: This photograph depicts a 229-A portable hydraulic scraper loader made by the Jeffrey Manufacturing Company of Columbus, Ohio, being used to load coal into a truck owned by Citizens Coal Company, also of Columbus. This loader could move over one ton of material per minute. The skyline of downtown Columbus can be seen in the background.
The Jeffrey Manufacturing Company, also known as the Jeffrey Mining Corporate Center, was established in 1876 as the Lechner Mining Machine Company in Columbus, Ohio, by Joseph Jeffrey and Francis Lechner. The company was the number one manufacturer of coal mining machinery worldwide until the mid-twentieth century. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL01575 Subjects
: Trucks; Coal mines and mining -- Ohio; Inventions; Coal-mining machinery; Manufacturing industries--Ohio; Inventors -- Ohio; Ohio Economy--Economy--Labor Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)