: Photograph showing Old Man’s Cave at Hocking Hills State Park in Hocking County, Ohio.
In 1924, the state of Ohio purchased 146 acres in the Hocking Hills that became Hocking Hills State Park in 1949. Hocking Hills State Park is known for its geologic features of Blackhand sandstone including Old Man's Cave, Cedar Falls, and Rock House.
Old Man's Cave derives its name from Richard Rowe, a hermit who, according to local legend, lived in the cave beginning in 1796. It also appears that two brothers, Nathaniel and Pat Rayon, arrived in 1795 and built a cabin in the area. Evidence exists that various groups occupied Old Man's Cave well before Rowe or the Rayon brothers arrived. Archaeologists have documented that American Indians visited the region perhaps as early as 7,000 years ago.
View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B07F04_009_1 Subjects
: Hocking Hills State Park (Ohio); State parks and reserves; Geology; Natural features; Outdoor recreation Places
: Hocking Hills State Park (Ohio); South Logan (Ohio); Hocking County (Ohio)