: This is a photo of Proctor and Gamble's Manufacturing, Administration, and Research building in Cincinnati, Ohio. This building housed the bakery research department's laboratories. This building is a part of the Ivorydale complex that consists of 120 buildings on 243 acres. The facility is located 5 miles north of Cincinnati. Also seen in the picture is the William Cooper Proctor Memorial.
William Procter (1801-1884) and James Gamble (1803-1891) started the Procter & Gamble Company in 1837. Procter was a native of England who worked as a candle maker. Gamble, a soap maker, originally came from Ireland. The two men were brothers-in-law, having married sisters Olivia and Elizabeth Norris. Their father-in-law, Alexander Norris, persuaded them to go into business together selling soap and candles. During the Civil War, Procter & Gamble was awarded several contracts to supply the Union Army with soap and candles. The candle business was discontinued in the 1920s. In 1879, P & G began making their signature product, Ivory soap. By 1890 Procter & Gamble was a multi-million dollar corporation.
The memorial seen in the foreground, dedicated on June 7, 1939, commemorates Procter's contributions to the Procter & Gamble Company, the most significant of which was the creation of the profit-sharing program in 1887. The voluntary program gave employees a stake in the company. Procter (1862-1934) was the grandson of the company's founder. This sculpture was created by Ernest Bruce Hasell. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B07F08_002_1 Subjects
: Cincinnati (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.--Pictorial works; Memorials--Ohio; Proctor and Gamble Company; Manufacturing industries Places
: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)