: Reverse reads: "This is the first National Cash Register opened, this register used roll paper. It was first used in the Miners' Supply Co. in Coalton, Ohio."
This is a photograph of the first National Cash register ever used at the Miners' Supply Co. in Coalton, Ohio. It is shown here opened.
The National Cash Register Company was founded by John H. Patterson in Dayton, Ohio. Patterson (1844-1922), hoping the machines could save him money by reducing accounting errors in his supply business, purchased the patent rights to the cash register from James Ritty in 1884. Within six months, he reduced his debt and showed a profit. Patterson built the first National Cash Register factory on his family's farm in Dayton in 1888. By the turn of the century, the company had become one of the largest employers in Dayton. Known for his strict training program for salespeople and health and education programs for employees, Patterson was closely involved in the daily lives of many of his workers. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B07F11_013_1 Subjects
: Stores, Retail--Ohio--Coalton; Jackson County (Ohio)--History; Patterson, John Henry, 1844-1922; Industries--Ohio--Dayton; Business and Labor; National Cash Register Company; United States. Work Projects Administration (Ohio) Places
: Coalton (Ohio); Jackson County (Ohio)