Our House Museum photograph   Save
Ohio Guide Photographs
Description: Our House--a 3-story brick tavern in the Federal style--was built in Gallipolis by Henry Cushing in 1819. The tavern boasted (in addition to its taproom, dining room, and other usual facilities), a large ballroom for social functions. On 22 May 1825, General Lafayette visited Gallipolis and was entertained at Our House Tavern. Gallipolis still celebrates Lafayette's visit with a ceremony each spring. The Cushing family owned and operated Our House until 1865. It was purchased in 1933 by Dr. and Mrs. Charles E. Holzer. They donated it to the state in 1944 as a memorial to the French families who founded Gallipolis. It is located at 432 1st Avenue in Gallipolis. View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: SA1039AV_B01F10_002
Subjects: Taverns (Inns)--Ohio; Ohio Historical Society
Places: Gallipolis (Ohio); Gallia County (Ohio)