: Caption reads "Rising-Peters House, Lancaster, Ohio".
This Greek Revival style home was built in 1835 for William Reese for his bride, Mary Elizabeth Sherman, the eldest sister of General William Tecumseh Sherman. It has 13.5 foot ceilings and a free standing spiral staircase. The Reese's left Lancaster in 1837, and during the next thirty years the house saw many different owners. In 1872 the house was bought by Philip and Caroline Rising, which was kept in the family, with their grandson Philip Rising Peters being the last to own it privately. In 1994 the house was donated to the Fairfield County Commissioners, and became the Decorative Arts Center. The house is usually called the Reese-Peters House. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B01F07_015_001 Subjects
: Architecture--Ohio--Pictorial works.; Architecture, Domestic--Ohio--Pictorial works.; Interiors; Greek revival (Architecture--Ohio--Pictorial works.) Places
: Lancaster (Ohio) Fairfield County (Ohio)