: Photograph (ca. 1935-1943) of the Madison County courthouse in London, Ohio.
Completed in 1892 and designed by George H. Maetzel, this building represents several architectural styles, including Beaux-Arts Classicism and Second Empire design elements. This was intended to be a smaller version of the 1887 Franklin County Courthouse which was built by the same architect. It features a Mansard roof and a barrell-vaulted light court with a stained glass ceiling in the interior. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973. On April 3, 1974, a devastating tornado destroyed the nearby town of Xenia, and also damaged many surrounding towns, including London. The statue of Lady Justice that stands on the top of the dome, in this photograph, was toppled due to the high winds. She was found on a ledge, and remains there, standing atop the pediment over the entrance to the building. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B01F07_001 Subjects
: Courthouses--Ohio; Madison County (Ohio); Public buildings--Ohio Places
: London (Ohio); Madison County (Ohio)