: The Ross County courthouse became Ohio's first statehouse in 1803. The building was torn down in 1852. Chillicothe was named the capital of the Northwest Territory in 1800 and became the first capital of the State of Ohio in 1803. The presence of influential men such as Thomas Worthington, the "father of Ohio statehood" and Edward Tiffin, Ohio's first governor, near Chillicothe made the city a convenient place to locate the capital. The capital was moved to Zanesville in 1810, but returned to Chillicothe in 1812. In 1816 Columbus became the permanent state capital. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B02F01_009 Subjects
: Chillicothe (Ohio); Ross County (Ohio); Northwest Territory; Court-houses Places
: Chillicothe (Ohio); Ross County (Ohio)