: Caption reads "City Hall Tower and Clock. Taken from Eighth and Plum"
Located 801 Plum St., City Hall occupies the entire block from 8th to 9th Sts, and from Plum St to Central Ave. A smaller building housed city council on the same site from 1852. Hannaford's Romanesque revival was dedicated May 13, 1893. Large stained glass windows by the New York firm Pottier Stymus & Co. depict the benevolent dictator Cincinnatus, the trials of early settlers, and Cincinnati as the Queen City of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's "Catawba Wine".
Samuel Hannaford and Sons remains the most prolific and widely-studied Cincinnati architectural firm; a company register from the 1930s lists 1000 buildings completed, and Hannaford family members were active from 1857 to the post-WWII period. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B02F14_041 Subjects
: Architecture--Ohio; Government buildings; Ohio Government;; Cincinnati--Buildings, structures, etc. ; Hannaford, Samuel, 1835-1911 Places
: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)