: Original description reads: "Union Central Life & Carew Tower, Rear of Dixie Terminal"
Carew Tower was constructed during the Great Depression and is currently the tallest building in Cincinnati. Standing 49 stories tall, the building was named for Joseph T. Carew, of the Mabley and Carew department store chain, which had previously operated on the site since 1877. It was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1994.
Dixie Terminal, actually two buildings, was a major hub for railroad and streetcar services in Cincinnati. The smaller building, shown in this photograph, is where streetcars entered and left, until 1950 when streetcar service was discontinued. The larger, 10 story building was home to railroad ticket agencies, the Cincinnati Stock Exchange, administrative offices of the Cincinnati Street Railway Company, as well as commercial offices and shops. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B04F02_39_01 Subjects
: Cincinnati (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.; Skyscrapers--Ohio Places
: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)