: The Terminal Tower building, is located on Public Square in Cleveland, Ohio. Designed by the firm of Graham, Anderson, Probst & White, the tower was modeled after the Beaux-Arts New York Municipal Building by McKim, Mead, and White. Built mainly of limestone, the tower itself seems extremely ornate compared with the simplicity of the lower portion of the building. It is 98 feet square to the 37th floor, where it assumes a polygonal form with buttresses as far as the 39th floor; there, with a series of encircling turrets, it becomes cylindrical before culminating in a cone surmounted with a flagpole. At night, floodlights illuminate the tower above the 34th floor.
Opened in 1930, with construction costs of $119 million, the tower was to serve as an office building atop the city's new rail station, Union Terminal and as a monument to the railroad building and financial success of Cleveland's Van Sweringen brothers. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B04F08_01_01 Subjects
: Terminal Tower Complex (Cleveland, Ohio)--History Places
: Cleveland (Ohio); Cuyahoga County (Ohio)