: Caption reads: "Terminal Tower, Bridge and shipping, from Flats. Cleveland."
This photograph shows Terminal Tower, the Detroit-Superior high level viaduct bridge and the flats, which until the 1980s was mainly an industrial area.
The twelve huge concrete arches and 591 feet of steel span the Cuyahoga, to form Detroit-Superior Bridge which was completed in 1918 and is 3,112 feet long. It spans from West 9th Street to West 25th Street, and cost about $5.5 million dollars.
Also visible are Fairchilds Flour mill and Hotel Cleveland. The hotel was built around 1915 atop the original 'Cleveland Hotel', and adjacent to the Terminal Tower, this 1,000 room hotel cost $4.5 million to build. In 1978 it was refurbished and remained Stouffer's Inn on the Square and in 1989 renamed Stouffer - Tower City Plaza. It became the Stouffer Renaissance Cleveland Hotel around 1993, but there have been discussions to drop the Stouffer name since 1996. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B04F08_16_01 Subjects
: Terminal Tower Complex (Cleveland, Ohio)--History; Historic buildings--Ohio--Cleveland; Public Square (Cleveland, Ohio); Cleveland (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.; Cuyahoga River (Ohio); Bridges--Ohio--Cleveland--1910-1920; Cleveland (Ohio). Flats Places
: Cleveland (Ohio); Cuyahoga County (Ohio)