: Caption reads: "'Passenger Ships at Anchor.' Cleveland Mall, City Hall (right) and 9 street passenger docks from Terminal Tower. Notice two sailing ships, Convict ship on left and Byrd ship on right near the steamers Eastern States (right) and City of Detroit (left). District #4, Cleveland. File Negative #99. Project Photograther: Frank Jaffa, 1940."
The 1903 Group Plan by Daniel Burnham, John Carrère, and Arnold W. Brunner as a vast public room flanked by the city's major civic and governmental buildings, all built in the neoclassical style. Many of those buildings along this long public park were built over the following three decades, including the Metzenbaum Courthouse (1910), Cuyahoga County Courthouse (1912), Cleveland City Hall (1916), Public Auditorium (1922), the Cleveland Public Library main building (1925), and the Cleveland Public Schools Board of Education building (1931). Other buildings include Key Tower, the Cuyahoga County Administration Building, and the Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland. The Mall was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.
Cleveland City Hall, located at Lakeside Avenue and East 6th (Sixth) Street is a five-story steel-frame and concrete structure with Vermont granite exterior was designed by J. Milton Dyer in the Renaissance style in 1916 at a cost of $3 million dollars. It has arcaded ground story, a 2-story Tuscan colonnade, and a central entrance bay characteristic of the Beaux-Arts style and was the first such structure built for and owned by the city. The Council Chambers underwent major restorations in 1951 and 1977. In 1994, a major exterior renovation costing $2.9 million took place for the first time in the building's history. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B04F09_09_01 Subjects
: Cleveland (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.; Brunner, Arnold W. (Arnold William), 1857-1925; Burnham, D. H. (Daniel Hudson), 1846-1912; Carrère, John Merven, 1858-1911; National Register of Historic Places; City halls--United States; Dyer, J. Milton, 1870-1957 Places
: Cleveland (Ohio); Cuyahoga County (Ohio)