: Caption reads: "Parade of moving vans, Cleveland, Ohio. Ohio Historical Society."
This photograph is a reproduction of a photograph from an unknown period. It depicts a caravan of moving 'vans' , or horse drawn wagons. A sign on the first wagon reads: "General Cartage & Storage Co., Moving, Packing, Storage."
Behind the wagons is the George Worthington Company hardware store, located at 820 Saint Clair Avenue.
Generating annual revenues in excess of $1 million within a few years of its founding in 1829, the George Worthington Co. constantly required relocation to larger facilities. In 1882, the hardware wholesale turned industrial supply company moved into its last building on 820 St. Clair Avenue. Designed by the Cleveland architectural firm of Cuddell and Richardson, The George Worthington Building is noted as a "highly decorative brick structure notable for its unusually wide window bays grouped in two multi-story arched ranks, a brick cornice, recessed spandrels and finials." Having fallen into disrepair in the later half of the 20th century, the George Worthington Building was rehabilitated as modern loft apartments in 1996 on what is today Worthington Square, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as well as being a Cleveland Landmark. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B04F08_07_01 Subjects
: Moving, Household United States; Caravans of covered wagons; Geo. Worthington Company; Worthington, Geo., Company, Cleveland; Places
: Cleveland (Ohio); Cuyahoga County (Ohio)