: Reverse reads: "Courthouse, Cleveland."
The Cuyahoga County Courthouse, located at 1 Lakeside Avenue, is a four-story pink granite structure, completed in 1912 by designed by architects Lehman and Schmidt in the French Classical Revival (Beaux-Arts) style. The Lakeside Avenue facade is decorated with figures in white Tennessee marble of men important in the development of English law; before the north entrance are bronze statues of John Marshall and Rufus Ray, and before the south of Thomas Jefferson and Alexander Hamilton. Sculptors were Herbert Adams, Karl Bitter, and Daniel Chester French. Notable among the works of art in the building is a mural decoration, 'The Trial of Captain John Smith', by Charles Yardley Turner, which portrays a scene at Smith's trial for treason and mutiny in 1607. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1975. It now houses the Cleveland Law Library Association.
It was conceived as part of the 1903 Group Plan by Daniel Burnham, John Carrère, and Arnold W. Brunner as a vast public room flanked by the city's major civic and governmental buildings, all built in the neoclassical style. Many of those buildings were built over the following three decades, including the Metzenbaum Courthouse (1910), Cuyahoga County Courthouse (1912), Cleveland City Hall (1916), Public Auditorium (1922), the Cleveland Public Library main building (1925), and the Cleveland Public Schools Board of Education building (1931). Other buildings include Key Tower, the Cuyahoga County Administration Building, and the Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B04F08_08_01 Subjects
: Cleveland (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.; County courts--Ohio; Brunner, Arnold W. (Arnold William), 1857-1925; Burnham, D. H. (Daniel Hudson), 1846-1912; Carrère, John Merven, 1858-1911; Turner, Charles Yardley, 1850-; Adams, Herbert, 1858-1945; Bitter, Karl Theodore Francis, 1867-1915; French, Daniel Chester, 1850-1931; National Register of Historic Places Places
: Cleveland (Ohio); Cuyahoga County (Ohio)