: In 1928 Cleveland voters approved a $2.5 million bond for the construction of Cleveland Municipal Stadium; widely believed to have been part of an attempt to secure the 1932 Olympics, however Los Angeles was chosen as the host in 1923. The Stadium was the largest of its kind at the time, seating over 78,000 people. Together with the Mall and Public Square, the Stadium hosted the 1936 great Lakes Exposition. From 1947 to 1994 it housed the Cleveland Browns and Cleveland Indians. Municipal Stadium was demolished in 1996 to erect the present Cleveland Browns Stadium.
Conceived in the 1903 Group Plan as a civic center in the City Beautiful style, a long park flanked by neoclassical government buildings, the Mall was to have been capped at its north end by the Union Terminal train station. The station's intended location shifted south and west; a rail approach from the southeast, along Ontario Avenue, was excavated and bridged in 1929. The Mall was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1975 (#75001360).
View of lakefront, Cleveland Municipal Stadium at left, Mall at right. Reverse reads: "Section of Cleveland's lake front, including Cleveland Stadium and part of the Mall, seen from Forty-Fourth floor of Terminal Tower Building. Cleveland, Ohio." View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B04F10_44_01 Subjects
: Shipping--Erie, Lake; Cleveland (Ohio)--Harbor; Harbors--Ohio--Cleveland; Cleveland (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.--Pictorial works; Aerial Photography; Business and Labor; Industries--Ohio; Ohio--History--Pictorial works; Federal Writers' Project Places
: Cleveland (Ohio); Cuyahoga County (Ohio)