Halle Brothers Company in Cleveland   Save
Ohio Guide Photographs
Description: Caption reads: "Uptown Shopping. Street scene in front of Halle Brothers Company on Euclid Avenue near 12 Street. District #4, Cleveland. File Negative #51. Project Photographer: Frank Jaffa, 1940. Shopping along Euclid Ave. at East 12th St. - Cleveland, Ohio." Halle Brothers Co. of Cleveland, Ohio, commonly referred to as Halle's, is a defunct department store chain. During most of time of operations, Halle's focused on higher-end merchandise, which it combined with personal service. The company was the first major department store in Cleveland to open a suburban branch store. Founded on 7 February 1891 by brothers Samuel Horatio Halle and Salmon Potland Chase Halle, the very first store was at 221 Superior Avenue near the city's Public Square, where the brothers bought out a hat and furrier shop owned by T.S. Paddock. Two years later, they moved to Euclid Avenue and East 4th Street in 1893, adding ready-to-wear clothing to the mix. The firm was officially incorporated in 1902 as the Halle Bros. Co. After growing and moving several times, the company eventually built its main store at 1228 Euclid Avenue by 1910. By 1927, their new $5 million Huron-Prospect Building was opened, creating an emporium at the city's Playhouse Square Center theatre district. The former flagship store at Playhouse Square Center was redeveloped as offices by Forest City Enterprises with space for retail shops on the main floor and a food court in the former Downstairs Store. During the late 1990s, the building was also used as the main location of the fictional Winfred-Louder store in "The Drew Carey Show" on ABC. View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: SA1039AV_B04F10_07_01
Subjects: Cleveland (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.; Halle Brothers Co.
Places: Cleveland (Ohio); Cuyahoga County (Ohio)