W.W. Holloway at the Cleveland Coal Dock   Save
Ohio Guide Photographs
Description: The W.W. Holloway is a retired self unloading freighter pictured here at Dock 24, the Cleveland Coal Dock on the Cuyahoga River and West 9th Street. The W.W. Holloway was originally known as the Henry A. Hawgood. The Hawgood was originally launched in 1906 at Cleveland. The 535 foot boat was renamed C. Russell Hubbard in 1912 and then renamed W. W. Holloway (named after the President of The first National Bank) in 1935 when acquired by Columbia. W.W. Holloway The Holloway was converted to a self unloader at Sturgeon Bay in 1957, received a bow thruster at Toledo in 1962, and repowered at Lorain over the Winter of 1962-63. The W.W. Holloway regularly shipped coal to Lake Michigan ports After carrying 122 cargoes totaling 1,210,000 tons in 1981,she was laid up for the last time on 12/7 in Toledo. The Holloway was sold for scrap in 1985. She was towed out of Toledo on 8/20/86, towed down the Welland Canal on 8/26/86, departed Quebec in a double tow with the Philip D. Block on 9/1/86, and arrived at Recife, Brazil on 10/24/86 for scrapping. Lake freighters, or Lakers, are bulk carrier vessels that ply the Great Lakes. These vessels are traditionally called boats, even though they classify as ships. In the mid-20th century, 300 lakers worked the Lakes but by the early 21st century, there were fewer than 140 active lakers. In film, the W.W. Holloway (since scrapped) is famous for being the lake freighter that the Blues Brothers jump their 1974 Dodge over when Elwood jumps the open 95th Street Draw Bridge. View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: SA1039AV_B04F11_25_01
Subjects: Cleveland (Ohio); Cuyahoga River (Ohio); Freight and freightage--Ohio; Lake Freighters;Blues Brothers (Motion picture)
Places: Cleveland (Ohio); Cuyahoga County (Ohio)