: This photograph shows a section of Cleveland along Lake Erie and a part of Lakeside Avenue, from the Cuyahoga County Courthouse to Cleveland City Hall. Also visible are Cleveland Municipal Stadium, The Standard Building and The Mall, which used to feature an outdoor amphitheater. There are also several boats and docks along the waterfront.
The Cuyahoga County Courthouse, located at 1 Lakeside Avenue, is a four-story pink granite structure, completed in 1912 by designed by architects Lehman and Schmidt in the French Classical Revival (Beaux-Arts) style. The Lakeside Avenue facade is decorated with figures in white Tennessee marble of men important in the development of English law; before the north entrance are bronze statues of John Marshall and Rufus Ray, and before the south of Thomas Jefferson and Alexander Hamilton. Sculptors were Herbert Adams, Karl Bitter, and Daniel Chester French. Notable among the works of art in the building is a mural decoration, 'The Trial of Captain John Smith', by Charles Yardley Turner, which portrays a scene at Smith's trial for treason and mutiny in 1607. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1975. It now houses the Cleveland Law Library Association.
Cleveland City Hall, located at Lakeside Avenue and East 6th (Sixth) Street is a five-story steel-frame and concrete structure with Vermont granite exterior was designed by J. Milton Dyer in the Renaissance style in 1916 at a cost of $3 million dollars. It has arcaded ground story, a 2-story Tuscan colonnade, and a central entrance bay characteristic of the Beaux-Arts style and was the first such structure built for and owned by the city. The Council Chambers underwent major restorations in 1951 and 1977. In 1994, a major exterior renovation costing $2.9 million took place for the first time in the building's history.
Cleveland Stadium, located at the foot of West 3rd (Third) Street, is built of gray-white brick and cost $3 million dollars to build. It opened July 3, 1931, for the heavyweight championship fight between Max Schmeling and Young Stribling. Designed by Walker and Weeks, the two-deck stadium had a seating capacity of 78, 189, which could be augmented by temporary seats to total 100, 000. Batteries of floodlights make night events possible. Sometimes called Cleveland Municipal Stadium and/or Lakefront Stadium, this multipurpose building was the home for first the Cleveland Rams, then Cleveland Browns (football) and the Cleveland Indians (baseball). It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1987 and demolished to make way for new modern facilities in 1996 (Cleveland Browns Stadium).
The Standard Building, located at 1370 Ontario Street in Cleveland, Ohio was originally called the ‘Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers Cooperative National Bank Building and later the Standard Bank Building) is a high-rise office tower. Rising to a height of 282 feet, the Standard Building was the second tallest building in Cleveland when it was completed in 1925. Three of its four sides are clad in cream-colored terra cotta with a recurring starburst motif. The south face, which can be seen from Public Square, is unadorned and windowless. It was designed by Knox and Elliot architects, and was built for $7 million.
It is owned by the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and Trainmen.
During the Great Depression, Standard Bank ran into financial difficulties and was sold by the BLE. It merged with two other Cleveland banks in 1930, forming Standard Trust Bank. This bank subsequently failed in 1931 and its assets were liquidated. From World War II through the 1960s, the bank lobby served as an indoctrination center for draftees. In the 1940s the building housed Cleveland College, a downtown campus of Western Reserve University, and was the last building of that campus.
The 1903 Group Plan by Daniel Burnham, John Carrère, and Arnold W. Brunner as a vast public room flanked by the city's major civic and governmental buildings, all built in the neoclassical style. Many of those buildings along this long public park were built over the following three decades, including the Metzenbaum Courthouse (1910), Cuyahoga County Courthouse (1912), Cleveland City Hall (1916), Public Auditorium (1922), the Cleveland Public Library main building (1925), and the Cleveland Public Schools Board of Education building (1931). Other buildings include Key Tower, the Cuyahoga County Administration Building, and the Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland. The Mall was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B04F11_27_01 Subjects
: Cleveland (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.; County courts--Ohio; Brunner, Arnold W. (Arnold William), 1857-1925; Burnham, D. H. (Daniel Hudson), 1846-1912; Carrère, John Merven, 1858-1911; Turner, Charles Yardley, 1850-; Adams, Herbert, 1858-1945; Bitter, Karl Theodore Francis, 1867-1915; French, Daniel Chester, 1850-1931; National Register of Historic Places; City halls--United States; Dyer, J. Milton, 1870-1957; Cleveland Municipal Stadium (Cleveland, Ohio); Municipal Stadium (Cleveland, Ohio); Walker and Weeks (Firm); Schmeling, Max, 1905-2005; Stribling, Young, 1907-1933; Cleveland Rams (Football team); Cleveland. Football Club (National League, Browns); Cleveland Indians (Baseball team); Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and Trainmen (U.S.); Case Western Reserve University. Cleveland College Places
: Cleveland (Ohio); Cuyahoga County (Ohio)