: Caption reads: "River View of Terminal; The Terminal Tower group from the Cuyahoga River; District #4, Cleveland, Ohio; Credit Line: C. W. Ackerman".
View of Terminal Tower from the Cuyahoga River. The Terminal Tower is located at 230 W. Huron Road in downtown Cleveland, Ohio. Built for $179 million by the Van Sweringen brothers, the tower was to serve as an office building atop the city's new rail station, Union Terminal. Originally planned to be 14 stories, the structure was expanded to 52-floors with a height of 708 ft and rests on 280 foot caissons. Designed by the firm of Graham, Anderson, Probst & White, the tower was modeled after the Beaux-Arts New York Municipal Building by McKim, Mead, and White. The Terminal Tower opened in 1928, two years before the entire Union Terminal complex was complete, and would remain the tallest building in the world outside of New York City until the completion of the main building of Moscow State University in Moscow in 1953. The Terminal Tower would continue as the tallest building in North America outside of New York City until the Prudential Center in Boston, Massachusetts was completed in 1964.
A Nicholson Transit Co. ore boat is pictured in the Cuyahoga River.
The Nicholson Transit Company was started by William Nicholson in 1928. The Great Lakes shipping company was one of a number of enterprises run by Nicholson and his family. Between the businesses owned by the Nicholson family, they handled cargo throughout the Great Lakes from the time of loading in one port, through transit to a second port, to unloading in the port of arrival. The Nicholson Transit Company was forced out of business in the 1960s as a result of the government subsidized railroad competition. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B04F11_17_01 Subjects
: Terminal Tower Complex (Cleveland, Ohio); Cuyahoga River; Cleveland (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.; Steamships Places
: Cleveland (Ohio); Cuyahoga County (Ohio);