: This is a photograph of a model built for the Ohio State School for the Blind to be used as a teaching tool.
The Ohio State Institution for the Education of the Blind was established in April of 1837 and by July of 1837 began instruction in rented rooms. The first school building was built in 1839, and could accommodate sixty students. This photograph, ca. 1935-1943 shows the four story sandstone structure in the Second Roman style of architeture with a Mansard roof. It is located on the corner of Parsons Avenue, and East Main Street in Columbus, Ohio and first opened it's doors on May 21, 1874. Early in the 20th century, the Ohio Department of Education assumed control and the name of the school was changed to the Ohio School for the Blind. In 1953, the school moved to it's current location on North High Street near Morse Road. The building has undergone several renovations, and once had a central tower reached an additional three stories, and pointed spires on the north and south ends. It has since been occupied by the Ohio Highway Patrol and then by Columbus Environmental Health. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B11F02_073_001 Subjects
: Models; Landscapes; Schools--Ohio; Ohio State School for the Blind; Blind--Education--Ohio--Columbus; Ohio--History--Pictorial works; Federal Writers' Project Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)